MY NIGHT IN JAIL...
Ok, maybe that´s a bit dramatic, but here´s how it all went down:
The date: 19 August 2006
The event: Young Geldenhuys disembarks the FANTASTIC cruise ship, says goodbye to Quentin, Phillipa, Mike and all the other good folks who made it an awesome holiday... then the fun starts.
10h00: They page me - time to get the hell off the ship, party´s over, go home.
10h20: Luggage not where it´s supposed to be - go back to terminal with over-aggressive taxi driver, he drops some names and we get my backpack. Off to the airport!
11h00: Checked in and fall asleep in cafeteria
13h00: Have sunblock, deepheat and Axe deoderant confiscated by customs. Now I´ll have to make do with my own manly smell for a while. Chicks dig it.
14h00: Off to Houston - sleep on flightç
17h00: Get off walk mile get on flight to Mexico - relatively smooth sailing so far...
20h00: Arrive in Mexico City. Woohoo! Tonight we party - I´m sure Ricardo has organized something huge, and probably I´ll see Guilio, Ramon and Ana Luz as well tonight. Can´t wait to clear customs!
20h11: "You seem to be missing your arrival form that needs to accompany the visa sir. Please wait here in this holding area for 5 minutes".
20h30: Other 20 people in holding cell are helped and start clearing out. I desperately try to get one of the security guards to help me phone Ricardo who´s waiting outside...
21h00: Only me, Sashan from India and some Peruvian bloke are left in holding cell. First bad news - we´ll have to stay the night, they can´t issue docs without payment to the bank of $40, which is only open at 9 in the morning...
21h30: Sashan starts to complain heavily. He has hypertension. Guards become even unfriendlier. I call Ricardo from Sashan´s phone, he says there is a huge party at his house just for me but he´ll see me in the morning then.
21h40: More bad news. Guard advises bank is closed tomorrow as it is Sunday, and we can´t stay in holding area more than 24 hours. They are gonna send me back from where I came. Say what??? I worry that Sashan will bust a nerve...
Temperature drops I have no warm clothes - can I either go get my luggage or some blankets???
22h30: Peruvian guy gives up and is off to Lima. Sashan and I only ones left. I start jabbing in broken Spanish with Santiago, our guard. We REALLY bond after he escorts me to the bathroom.
23h00: Ramon calls on Sashan´s phone to tell me what an awesome party they´re having. Thanks for sharing. I tell them I might be sent back in the morning...
23h30: Continental Air rep brings sandwiches and takes my other passport. Now I´m fucked, they´re definitely sending me back to Houston!
00h00: Sashan asks for Paracetemol. I wield the Spanish ling like a scimitar and a doctor is on his way. Hey I´m impressing myself!
00h30: Same guy who said bank is not open on Sunday changes his mind. Maybe wé´ll be allowed to stay... Continental rep brings blankets.
01h00: Santiago reckons we get upgraded to ensuite facility with the other prisoners. Now I don´t need a date to go to the bathroom anymore. Sleep on stools, fed and warm. They bring my luggage as well. Now it´s like the Hilton!
01h30: Clowning around with guards... they think my gyro-powerball is a wank muscle exerciser, hysterical giggles ensue. I take a picture of holding facility just as doctor arrives '- he shits on me for a busy height: "yes I speak English - and German too! Do you think you´re a bloody tourist? No pictures!" He examines Sashan, concludes that we have wasted his time and goes his not-so-merry way. Me and the guards poke fun at him after he leaves. Loco...
2h00: Go to sleep. Let´s worry about things as they happen tomorrow.
8h00: Herded back to old digs - hey I missed this place! Looks like we´ll be getting out of here after all... We wait on needles and pins. Sashan starts copying my quote book.
10h30: Get my passport back - this time I make sure I have all the forms. Pay additional $50 penalties for something I never die wrong, but voila! I am in Mexico...
11h00: At internet cafe relating this stirring tale... life can now resume!
TIP TO ALL SA TRAVELLERS: For God´s sake please remember that a visa isn´t enough, you need an entry form from the consulate as well!
Till next time true believers...
Ok, maybe that´s a bit dramatic, but here´s how it all went down:
The date: 19 August 2006
The event: Young Geldenhuys disembarks the FANTASTIC cruise ship, says goodbye to Quentin, Phillipa, Mike and all the other good folks who made it an awesome holiday... then the fun starts.
10h00: They page me - time to get the hell off the ship, party´s over, go home.
10h20: Luggage not where it´s supposed to be - go back to terminal with over-aggressive taxi driver, he drops some names and we get my backpack. Off to the airport!
11h00: Checked in and fall asleep in cafeteria
13h00: Have sunblock, deepheat and Axe deoderant confiscated by customs. Now I´ll have to make do with my own manly smell for a while. Chicks dig it.
14h00: Off to Houston - sleep on flightç
17h00: Get off walk mile get on flight to Mexico - relatively smooth sailing so far...
20h00: Arrive in Mexico City. Woohoo! Tonight we party - I´m sure Ricardo has organized something huge, and probably I´ll see Guilio, Ramon and Ana Luz as well tonight. Can´t wait to clear customs!
20h11: "You seem to be missing your arrival form that needs to accompany the visa sir. Please wait here in this holding area for 5 minutes".
20h30: Other 20 people in holding cell are helped and start clearing out. I desperately try to get one of the security guards to help me phone Ricardo who´s waiting outside...
21h00: Only me, Sashan from India and some Peruvian bloke are left in holding cell. First bad news - we´ll have to stay the night, they can´t issue docs without payment to the bank of $40, which is only open at 9 in the morning...
21h30: Sashan starts to complain heavily. He has hypertension. Guards become even unfriendlier. I call Ricardo from Sashan´s phone, he says there is a huge party at his house just for me but he´ll see me in the morning then.
21h40: More bad news. Guard advises bank is closed tomorrow as it is Sunday, and we can´t stay in holding area more than 24 hours. They are gonna send me back from where I came. Say what??? I worry that Sashan will bust a nerve...
Temperature drops I have no warm clothes - can I either go get my luggage or some blankets???
22h30: Peruvian guy gives up and is off to Lima. Sashan and I only ones left. I start jabbing in broken Spanish with Santiago, our guard. We REALLY bond after he escorts me to the bathroom.
23h00: Ramon calls on Sashan´s phone to tell me what an awesome party they´re having. Thanks for sharing. I tell them I might be sent back in the morning...
23h30: Continental Air rep brings sandwiches and takes my other passport. Now I´m fucked, they´re definitely sending me back to Houston!
00h00: Sashan asks for Paracetemol. I wield the Spanish ling like a scimitar and a doctor is on his way. Hey I´m impressing myself!
00h30: Same guy who said bank is not open on Sunday changes his mind. Maybe wé´ll be allowed to stay... Continental rep brings blankets.
01h00: Santiago reckons we get upgraded to ensuite facility with the other prisoners. Now I don´t need a date to go to the bathroom anymore. Sleep on stools, fed and warm. They bring my luggage as well. Now it´s like the Hilton!
01h30: Clowning around with guards... they think my gyro-powerball is a wank muscle exerciser, hysterical giggles ensue. I take a picture of holding facility just as doctor arrives '- he shits on me for a busy height: "yes I speak English - and German too! Do you think you´re a bloody tourist? No pictures!" He examines Sashan, concludes that we have wasted his time and goes his not-so-merry way. Me and the guards poke fun at him after he leaves. Loco...
2h00: Go to sleep. Let´s worry about things as they happen tomorrow.
8h00: Herded back to old digs - hey I missed this place! Looks like we´ll be getting out of here after all... We wait on needles and pins. Sashan starts copying my quote book.
10h30: Get my passport back - this time I make sure I have all the forms. Pay additional $50 penalties for something I never die wrong, but voila! I am in Mexico...
11h00: At internet cafe relating this stirring tale... life can now resume!
TIP TO ALL SA TRAVELLERS: For God´s sake please remember that a visa isn´t enough, you need an entry form from the consulate as well!
Till next time true believers...


1 Comments:
Hi everybody, I'm the peruvian guy and his history is true. At least my friend have is bags. I'm still waiting mines in Perú. Moraleja pidan las formas en el avion para no pasar lo mismo.!! Saludos
Post a Comment
<< Home