Thursday, November 16, 2006

FINAL XELA

Hey, I do dig this place! My short time in Quetzeltenango is coming to an end, but pertinently I thought I`d jog down some of my key memories before I shift them into memory bank and get onto the next adventure...

SPANISH SCHOOL: Had a good time, put in some effort and I do think there is some improvement, will need to keep up the discipline this coming week as I through myself back into youth hostels and gringo speak. Tomorrow we only have half a lesson before heading out to the Hot springs to square things off... I still have a lot to learn though!

VOLUNTEERING: Did a second session of teaching English, again the first class of 10 year olds who were great, I could build on day one and teach them some additional stuff, even got me a cute little teachers pet who would erase the board for me when necessary and gave me a big hug after class. It`s kinda cool being called Profe... that is, until session two, when I got the absolutely impossible bunch of six year olds with the attention spans of gnats, the energy of olympic triathletes and the bladders of cats, I had enough halfway through and put a moratorium on going to the bathroom which led to much sulking and completely losing control of them. This job is harder that one thinks, all respect to you teachers out there...

HEALTH: Figures that my lungs filled up with some kinda fungus a year after I stopped smoking, the doc reckons it ain`t serious and I am taking some juice for it, but a couple of days ago I was pretty scared when my chest felt blocked up, when you`re all alone in a third world country fifteen zillion miles from home it gives you some perspective. I blame it on all that heavy breathing in yoga, think I`ll stick with cycling from now...

MY NEW CAREER AS A WRITER: Serendeptiously, I got hold of the Writers Guide at the Spanish School, which shed some light on why e-mailing a halfbaked article on your last trip to the editor of the Sunday Times will probably not get noticed, I now have some expert advice on how to market myself, and figure out how I get my foot in the door. In the interim the book is now taking shape in the first person on a blog I am not showing publicly, I need to get past chapter 2 first. Good to start getting my thought process geared up to what I need to do once I finally grow up and go home though...

I could easily come back to this town, as I could go back to the Lake... me reckons Guatemala will see me again. Still, far from over, I am still heading up to some awesome spots before hitting the Islands in Honduras, will keep you true believers posted!

Keep on trucking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home